Make Your Own Cherry Pie Filling
Eco Home Projects
The marked down corner at the supermarket is a gem, especially when I found lots of cherries still in great shape at half price!.
An excellent excuse to make some cherry pies. Freshly made pie filling tastes so much better than the canned ones, and of course,
much cheaper. I made 2 full jars from 2 boxes.
- 300g fresh cherries, stoned and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn flour, mixed with 30ml water
- Place the cherries and sugar in a small saucepan, simmer on low heat till cherries are softened, stirring constantly.
- Add in the corn flour mixture and continue to simmer and stir constantly till thickened.
- Leave to cool for some homemade cherry pies or store in sterilised jars and freeze for future use.
- Once frozen, it can be stored for a very long time. But make sure that the lids are only tightened after
the content in the jar is completely frozen, and only fill the jars to 3/4 full. This is because the content will
expand when frozen and may crack the jars if it is full.
- Some may like to use gelatin to thicken the juice but using corn flour is so much healthier and totally vegetarian.
- You can also use white sugar if you like.
- Also great as pancake topping.
Suggest a dish to us and we will try to source it for you.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |