Eggless Vanilla Custard Sauce Low Cholesterol
Custard sauce makes puddings like cherry pie and
bread and butter pudding taste so much more delicious.
But traditional custard recipes involve quite a few egg yolks, and you'll end up with too many
For those who are watching their cholesterol levels, yes you can always turn to instant custard
powder - but you'll often find other additives in it: colouring, preservatives, and salt. Why not make custard
sauce without eggs that is 100% natural?
- 2 tablespoons unbleached organic corn flour
- 1 pint/570ml fresh milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- A pinch of grated/ground nutmeg
- Mix everything thoroughly in a saucepan, making sure that there is no lumps.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a slim whisk till the mixture is thick and pasty.
- Remove from heat just before the sauce comes to a boil, when you can see the first bubble in the sauce.
- Serves 4-6, depending on how much you like it on your pies.
- Organic corn flour is unbleached so it gives the custard sauce a natural light yellow colour, and it's much healthier too.
- The amount of sugar can be readjusted to your liking, as this has a healthier sugar level.
- Amount of corn flour used is just a guide according to how thick we like the custard sauce to be. If you prefer something more runny, just reduce it slightly.
- You can replace fresh milk with full cream milk but we don't recommend the use of skimmed or low fat milk due to ethical reasons.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |