Adzuki and Kidney Bean Cake
Submitted by M.Y. Hiew
A sweet snack for all seasons, best after a Chinese full course meal.
It is low in fat, yet contains the goodness of adzuki bean,
kidney bean and mung bean. You may not be able to buy this adzuki bean cake from
your local Chinese restaurants, but it is really easy to make.
- 500g adzuki bean
- 1 kg kidney bean
- 500g shelled mung bean
- 150g corn flour
- 250g brown sugar
- Cook kidney bean and adzuki bean in 3 cups of water, with 250g sugar. Keep boiling on low heat until it is soft and pasty.
- Cook shelled mung bean with 5 cups of water, until it is soft and pasty.
- Mix cooked adzuki and kidney bean with 3 quarter of the corn flour, until the mixture is smooth.
- Mix cooked mung bean with the remaining corn flour, until the mixture is smooth.
- Line a baking tray
with cling film. Fill the bottom of the tray with a layer of adzuki bean paste, then top it with a layer of mung bean paste.
- Repeat the layers until the tray is almost full, or until the ingredient is used up.
- Steam it for 30 minutes. Cut into small square pieces, serve hot or cold.
- If shelled mung bean cannot be obtained, try soaking unshelled bean overnight. You can then easily dispose of the floating shells.
- For those who do not have the access to a steamer, put the tray over a metal stand in a big pot of boiling water.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |