Authentic Chinese Boiled Rice in Oven
Boiled rice is usually done on gas stove.
But as and when you are out of gas, you can also do it in the oven, and get the same amazing texture of the rice.
Once you have experimented and gauged a more precise cooking time for the type of rice, you can practically leave it to cook itself, as opposed to having to watch it over the stove.
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Place the rice in a glass casserole. Boil the water in a kettle, and add it to the rice.
- Put the casserole lid on. Place the casserole in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until water has gone down to the level of the rice.
- Turn heat off and let it stand in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Fluff the rice with a fork to make sure it does not stick to the base.
- Cover the rice and let it stand for another 10-15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice again before serving.
- This recipe serves two, based on normal long grain white rice. Different types of rice will have different water absorbance. Just duplicate the amount of rice and water according to your requirement.
- If you are using brown rice, pre-soak the rice for about an hour. Alternatively, double-up the amount of water used; and obviously it will take longer time to cook.
| Adzuki Bean
| Festive Food
| Poultry |
| Stir Fry
| Vegetarian |